I’m Steve Omohundro and I’ve been a scientist, professor, author, and entrepreneur. I have a Ph.D. in mathematical physics but most of my work focuses on natural and artificial intelligence. I’m passionate about both understanding the world and creating new technologies that benefit humanity.
My current projects:
1) Possibility Research: is developing a new approach to intelligent technology and its regulation based on semantic software.
2) Self-Aware Systems: is working to ensure that intelligent technologies are safe and beneficial for humanity. Our work has been widely discussed in books, newspapers, radio, and television. “Autonomous Technology and the Greater Human Good” was the most downloaded paper ever in the Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Artificial Intelligence.
3) Pebble Cryptocurrency advisory board: Pebble aims to implement micro-transactions for the Internet of Things and be a stable currency for emerging economies.
4) Cryptocurrency Research Group board: CCRG is the first cross-disciplinary research group focused on studying cryptocurrencies and other decentralized consensus technologies.
5) Institute for Blockchain Studies advisory board: exploring “Bitcoin 3.0″ applications in government, health, science, literacy, culture, and art.
6) Soprise! Impact Investment Fund Scientific Advisory Board: A new type of impact investment fund manager providing sustainable funding for addressing the challenges of emerging economies and emerging technologies. 50% of the fund manager’s profits go to the social mission.
8) Center for the Study of Mind: Don Kimber, Forrest Bennett, and I are working with a group of neuroscientists, physicists, psychologists, neuroscientists, economists, and computer scientists to develop a new interdisciplinary theory of intelligence which applies equally to microbes, brains, organisms, ecosystems, economies, and societies.
9) Silicon Valley ACM Special Interest Group on Artificial Intelligence: George Gregory, Tuna Oezer, and I created this group to support researchers and students in machine learning, natural language processing, computer vision, robotics, and other AI fields. We are working to create a vibrant intellectual community with expository and tutorial lectures on a variety of AI topics.
Send email to Steve: