I’m Steve Omohundro and I’ve been a scientist, professor, author, and entrepreneur. I have a Ph.D. in mathematical physics but most of my work is about natural and artificial intelligence. I’m passionate about finding new ways to understand the world and to create technologies that benefit humanity.
My current projects:
1) Possibility Research: I started this venture to create intelligent technologies that improve the way we think, compute, interact, and govern.
2) Self-Aware Systems: I started this think tank to ensure that intelligent technologies are safe and beneficial for humanity. My paper: “Autonomous Technology and the Greater Human Good” was downloaded over 15,000 times and has generated lots of popular media discussion.
3) Pebble Cryptocurrency advisory board: Pebble aims to implement micro-transactions for the Internet of Things and be a stable currency for emerging economies.
4) Institute for Blockchain Studies advisory board: There is a flurry of new ideas and businesses related to cryptocurrencies like bitcoin and smart contracts. I see lots of synergies between these technologies and AI. I’m also involved with the Silicon Valley Ethereum Meetup where I gave a talk on “Smart Contracts 101″.
6) Center for the Study of Mind: Don Kimber, Forrest Bennett, and I are working with a group of neuroscientists, physicists, psychologists, neuroscientists, economists, and computer scientists to develop a new interdisciplinary theory of intelligence which applies equally to microbes, brains, organisms, ecosystems, economies, and societies.
7) Silicon Valley ACM Special Interest Group on Artificial Intelligence: George Gregory, Tuna Oezer, and I created this group to support researchers and students in machine learning, natural language processing, computer vision, robotics, and other AI fields. We are working to create a vibrant intellectual community and have periodic expository and tutorial lectures on topics of interest.
Send email to Steve: