I’m Steve Omohundro and I’ve been a scientist, professor, author, and entrepreneur. I have a Ph.D. in mathematical physics but most of my work is about natural and artificial intelligence. I’m passionate about creating new insights and technologies for a better world.
My current projects:
1) Possibility Research: is a business I recently started to create new social and intelligent technologies that improve the way we think, compute, interact, and govern.
2) Self-Aware Systems: is a think tank I started to help ensure that intelligent technologies are safe and beneficial for humanity. My recent paper on this topic: “Autonomous Technology and the Greater Human Good” was downloaded 10,000 times in its first week and has generated lots of discussion in the popular media.
3) Center for the Study of Mind: Don Kimber, Forrest Bennett, and I gathered a group of neuroscientists, physicists, psychologists, economists, and computer scientists to take an interdisciplinary approach to intelligence and the mind. Recently, Bob Blum led a discussion of Dehaene’s book “Consciousness and the Brain”. Aaron Mishara led a discussion of Friston’s paper “The history and future of the Bayesian brain”, and Subutai Ahmad gave a great summary of recent neural modelling research at Numenta, Inc.
4) Silicon Valley ACM Special Interest Group on Artificial Intelligence: George Gregory, Tuna Oezer, and I recently created this group to support researchers and students in machine learning, natural language processing, computer vision, robotics, and other AI fields. We hope to create a vibrant intellectual community and to have periodic expository and tutorial lectures on topics of interest. The first meeting will feature Bill MacCartney speaking about “Understanding Natural Language” at Edmodo, Inc. on 7/16 at 7:00.
5) Cryptocurrencies and Smart Contracts: There is a flurry of new ideas and businesses related to cryptocurrencies like bitcoin and smart contracts. I’m joining the advisory board of Pebble and am involved with the Silicon Valley Ethereum Meetup. I’ll speak there about “Smart Contracts 101″ on Sunday, October 26, 2014.
Send email to Steve: